Sunday, May 20, 2012

Spray painting leather boots!


   I nabbed these pink metallic, leather, cowboy boots from my sister-in-law a couple of weeks ago. They were my niece's and she had outgrown them. Desmond wears pink all the time because I am not a believer in any color belonging to one gender. His favorite sneakers are a pair of light up sparkly hot pink numbers. But I didn't love this color pink so much. So, I decided to spray paint them. I have spray painted leather boots a couple of times and it has worked really well in the past. 
   The first step is cleaning the boots with rubbing alcohol to make sure all the oils and dirt are wiped away, or as much as possible anyway.


   Then you tape off the sole of the shoe so you don't get paint on it. Be real careful to get right up to the edge  of the leather shoe. I placed the edge of the tape right into the fold where the leather meets the hard sole and pressed it down in there, then pressed it down over the edge and under the bottom. You can use small pieces of tape to get around the round shape of the shoe or boot.


   Then spray away! I used a metallic royal blue for the whole boot, then added a dark brown and silver. The covering of the boot in the blue took a few coats and a few turns of the boot. I laid it flat to spray it to prevent dripping. Too much paint will drip. It's better to be patient and do extra coats then to spray it on too heavy.


   Now they are space cowboy, rock star boots for Desmond! I am so jealous. 

3 comments:

  1. I hope Rocco end up with these when Desmond outgrows them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool leather boots, I like so much, I want to buy one like this style. cheap leather boots

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did she get it the metallic pink I love it. Looking for a spray paint that color

    ReplyDelete